Packing can be a hassle, but simple tips can make all the difference.
Read through these 15+ tips to help you stay organised and work efficiently with packing:
- Use quality materials. Professional supplies will provide better protection for your items, but they don’t have to cost a lot of money. Check here for moving materials or visit a local store close to you.
- Prepare boxes. Reinforce the bottom of every box with tape, then line with newspaper for extra cushion.
- Use plastic nylons and trash bags to prevent spills. If you’ll be putting bottles of liquids like cleaning supplies or bath products in a box, line it with a trash bag. Then use a piece of plastic wrap under the cap to seal each bottle before you pack it.
- Learn how to use supplies properly to avoid mishaps.
- Create a packing basket. Put tape, box labels, markers, scissors, and other supplies in a basket so you can easily carry them from room to room. Make a few if multiple people are working at the same time!
- Designate an area for packed items. Clear out space in a non-essential room so you can stack full boxes in there. This will let you get started early without creating a lot of clutter around the house.
- Know what you can’t move. Many companies aren’t able to transport certain items. Get rid of (or make another plan for) items on the can’t move list. If you’re making use of a moving company, be sure to ask beforehand.
- Decide what to move. Go through your belongings and get rid of anything you won’t need or want in the new home. Read some of our other packing tips here.
- Keep valuables separate. Put important documents, expensive electronics, and other valuable items in a separate box where you’re sure they won’t get tampered with.
- Make an “open first” box. Put together one or two boxes of things you’ll need during your first night/day in the new house. Include basic toiletries, towels, a few kitchen items, bedsheets, etc.
- Put heavy items in small boxes. Overweight boxes can be difficult to move. Using a smaller box will keep you from putting too many heavy pieces inside.
- Use all available space. Take advantage of drawers by filling them with unbreakable items (towels, sheets, etc.), and pack boxes completely, so you aren’t moving empty boxes.
- Keep similar items together. Take the extra time to sort things by where they’ll be stored in the new home. Doing this now will help you stay organised later! This is why we advise you to pack room by room.
- Label everything. Label each box with its corresponding room so the move-in day goes smoother. Mark it on multiple sides so it can be seen no matter how it’s picked up during the unloading process.
- Consider using a number system. Number each box and make an inventory of what’s inside so you can easily find things when you need them.
- Take pictures. Before unhooking cords or taking furniture apart, take a picture of how it’s set up. This way you’ll be able to put everything back together faster.
- Put hardware in bags. If you remove any screws or other small pieces, put them in a plastic bag, so they don’t get lost. It’s also a good idea to tape the bag to the item to keep it all together.
- Hire professionals if you can. This is because it can save you time and energy moving stuff around, and they’re more experienced which implies that there’ll be minimal damage.
- Ask for help, if you can’t afford a moving company. The more people who are helping, the easier packing will be! Ask friends and family members to come over and get everything boxed up fast.
Share your favorite tips with us!
We probably missed a few tips, share some of them with us in the comments.